Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums banner

Exclusive: Chevrolet Confirms Spark EV Will Arrive Early, On Sale This July In US

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Raymondjram 
#1 ·

There is a lot of excitement in the air this week as the New York Auto Show gets underway. And with the show, comes the anticipation of new models set to debut, new specs to be released, concepts to be presented. This news, strangely enough, has nothing to do with any of that.

2014 Spark EV Interior
InsideEVs did however catch up with Annalisa Bluhm, from Chevy communications, to talk about the upcoming Chevrolet Spark EV, which has an 81 (ish) all-electric range, and will sport North America’s first SAE Combined Charging System on board.

And while we did attempt (unsuccessfully) to get a more specific answer on Spark EV pricing (other than GM’s statement that it will start under $32,500)…

“Pricing is coming soon, but not at NYC (Autoshow).”

…we did find out that the imported Spark EV will be arriving a little earlier than expected.

Originally, the South Korea-made electric vehicle was not expected in the US until August or even September of this year, but after inquiring about reports of the Spark EV heading to US shores earlier than expected, Ms. Bluhm confirms to us that Chevrolet had a meeting with California dealers to “gauge interest” and we guess it went fairly well, as General Motors is indeed shipping the Spark EV ahead of schedule:

“The cars will be in dealerships by July if all goes to plan.”

100 kW Motor Nestled Under Hood
Unfortunately, and unlike with Toyota’s RAV4 EV, interested buyers from outside California (and Oregon) will have to wait for wider availability, as General Motors has apparently had participating dealers agree to only sell to residents of their home states.

The Chevrolet Spark has a 20 kWh liquid-cooled battery, and has a segment best, 0-60 time of 8 seconds, thanks to a 100 kW (130 hp) motor, providing 400 lb-ft of torque. The Spark EV also has a 8 year/100,000 mile warranty.

The Spark EV also goes on sale in Europe in Q1 of 2014 , and in Canada as a fleet only vehicle for MY 2014.

Exclusive: Chevrolet Confirms Spark EV Will Arrive Early, On Sale This July In US

See less See more
#3 ·
im surprised the government doesn't get more involved with the EV market. Maybe even more with participating in ads or have there own commercials backing it up and really pushing the envelope to help the auto industry. It can really help the economy and at the same time make a difference for the environment. Rebates and incentives is a good step but they do need to follow up.

#6 ·
Haha so true, if that's the case then no Spark EV's for a long time. Instead it will be a land full of Spark EV's unsafe due to the end result of a nuclear attack or what ever North Korea plans to attack with.

They should let us get our Spark EV's first, THEN go to war :D haha

#9 ·
I found that Helm Inc has the 2014 Chevy Spark EV Owners Manual in stock and for sale at $25.00 plus shipping (I have ordered one today):

2014 Chevy Spark Owner Manual (Battery/Electric Vehicle) - Helm Incorporated

The 2014 Chevy Spark Service Manual Set will be available in December for $200.00 plus shipping:
2014 Chevy Spark Electric Vehicle Service Manual Set - Helm Incorporated

For those who own gas Sparks, the owners and service manuals are in stock (check here):
Helm Incorporated: Search Results

I recommend Helm, Inc. I have been buying manuals from the since 1976!

#10 ·
The 2014 Chevy Spark EV Owners Manual arrived. So if anyone has questions, feel free to post them.

One item: The only fluids to check are three coolants, brake and washer fluids. The electric drive unit has its own fluid (Dexron) and it is scheduled for a change after 97,500 miles. Other than this, just check tire pressure every week. I see it the easiest vehicle to maintain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.