Considering Spark EV? PlugWiz calculator shows financial benefits of driving electric - Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-13-2013, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Considering Spark EV? PlugWiz calculator shows financial benefits of driving electric

PlugWiz calculator shows financial benefits of driving electric

Drive Clean | Plug-in Electric Vehicle Resource Center

The number of online calculators that can help plug-in drivers discover cost-to-drive savings compared to gasoline vehicles. Yesterday, the EPA announced the eGallon device, which gives a broad overview of gas vs. electricity costs. Another new entrant is the more customizable Plugwiz, which promises to let you "discover the true costs of an electric vehicle."

The reason for that "true cost" line is because you can input all sorts of variables into Plugwiz utility rates, the plug-in vehicle make and model, what kind of charger you have at home, when you plan to charge, your gas car's mpg and more. Once you feed all the details in, Plugwiz will tell you how much you can save per month.

As cool as it is, Plugwiz would like some of your personal information (email), and it doesn't automatically draw down data on local average gas prices or talk to your utility about price rates, as far as we can see both of which would be nice features but there's still a lot of real usefulness here. If you know your numbers, of course. A short statement from Plugwiz is available below.

Plugwiz is available on the California PEV Collaborative website. How much do/would you save?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-21-2013, 09:24 PM

The electric Spark is expensive when compared with the gas Spark. Buying a car is not an economic issue and should never be seen as if it will "save money". Buying the electric Spark is a choice to avoid gas burning, and enjoying a faster, more powerful, and cleaner vehicle than the gas Spark. The additional savings due to low or no maintenance (except tires and wipers) is a benefit, but still is not a reason to buy it.

I want to buy the electric Spark because it it the lowest cost American brand electric car, it is a trusted model based on a vehicle that has sold millions worldwide, and it can be serviced with spare parts available at my local dealers which sell gas models.

And as an EE, I can eventually do my own servicing when the factory warranty expires.

Last edited by Raymondjram; 06-21-2013 at 09:26 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-05-2013, 09:02 AM

I think the gas savings are worth it. The initial cost might be higher but having to pay less over the years of ownership is worth it to me. Even if it doesn't add up in the end.

Chrissy V
Awaiting Salsa 2013 Spark

post #4 of 5 Old 11-19-2013, 06:13 PM

I own a Jeep wrangler. I drive it every day. I have owned it for two years and put 18000 miles on it. I average 14 miles per gallon because my commute is in town. My average cost for fuel is $232 per month.
I could lease a Spark ev for $999 down and pay that with gm points....cost to me $0
the monthly lease would be $199.
The monthly electricity would be $9.53 based on current miles driven over two years in Jeep. when figuring 5.9 miles per KWH according to the spark EV blog. 127 KWH per month at 7.5 cents per KWH =$9.53
$199+$9.53= $208.53< $232
Plus I could take the $20K of equity in my jeep and invest it in the S&P 500, with an average return of 11% = net + $7352 over 3 years - $7164 (cost of lease)= $188 profit, plus I still have my $20K.
I think you can justify the cost versus the fuel savings if you lease.
Now I just need to move to CA long enough to lease one of these.

Last edited by trbizwiz; 11-19-2013 at 06:16 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-30-2013, 09:42 PM

You can also go with the regular gasoline powered Spark and save some money if the Spark EV is not available in your location. Otherwise, there are several other options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page