2014 Chevrolet Spark Might Scrap Automatic for CVT - Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-15-2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

2014 Chevrolet Spark Might Scrap Automatic for CVT

Chevrolet has a big change in store for its little Spark sub-compact: the four-speed automatic will disappear to be replaced by a CVT.

A General Motors representative has yet to confirm that the change will take place, but if documents on enthusiast forum GM Inside News prove to be true, the sub-compact four-door hatch will likely offer improved fuel economy, perhaps in line with the 38 highway mpg quoted with the five-speed manual that will also remain in the lineup.

Currently, the automatic Spark delivers an EPA estimated 32 mpg combined. GM uses a 1.25-liter dual-overhead cam four cylinder engine with 84 hp. Unlike other sub-compacts it competes with, the Spark offers separate doors for the rear-seat passengers.

The documents posted didnít list other major mechanical changes to the car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-15-2013, 02:22 PM

CVT will help this car, since it is meant more for the city. A CVT may be the best compromise for gearing, shifting and noise.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-15-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
CVT will help this car, since it is meant more for the city. A CVT may be the best compromise for gearing, shifting and noise.
Yup, CVT transmission in the chevy spark will help a lot. Increase gas mileage, reduce cabin noise, smoother ride....FINALLY we get a nice upgrade.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-16-2013, 02:45 PM

I'm personally not a huge fan of the CVT transmission. But from what it could do with helping the fuel economy this might interest more owners to focus and buy the Spark for its purpose. The spark is one of the many in this competitive segment and to see how chevy is coming up with ideas to make the spark more efficient shows us that they care.

post #5 of 13 Old 04-22-2013, 07:05 PM

Question

I like CVT's but is this new for GM, are we beta testers ?

2016 Spark 1LT on short list
post #6 of 13 Old 04-23-2013, 07:21 PM

CVT is a step up but I was just thinking about it the other day, what if they put a dual clutch transmission into the Spark, it would solve a few problems and make the Spark even more enjoyable.

Of course there's a long way to go before we'll ever see a DCT compact car like the Spark but it's going to happen one day.

Does anyone know if there are any compact cars out at the moment with a dual clutch transmission?
post #7 of 13 Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 PM

A couple years back the CVT hit the market and it seems as if every manufacturer wanted a piece of it. But now with the trend and proven benefits of a dual clutch transmission, that is the next big thing. the only thing stopping it from being in lower end cars is the cost of a dct.

Thinking compact wise I think the newer Ford focus utilizes the DCT transmission.

post #8 of 13 Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Spark View Post
A couple years back the CVT hit the market and it seems as if every manufacturer wanted a piece of it. But now with the trend and proven benefits of a dual clutch transmission, that is the next big thing. the only thing stopping it from being in lower end cars is the cost of a dct.

Thinking compact wise I think the newer Ford focus utilizes the DCT transmission.
Also the new Dodge Dart has DCT (i think) and apparently Dodge Dart owners are getting great gas mileage.

Although CVT lasted a short time, I think DCT will be the new mainstream transmission to be used and should last really long.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 AM

The Cvt transmission might not be the best for the others but for the Spark i think it would make sense. For the price i wouldn't see why they shouldnt put thr cvt in the spark. In time the cvt will be replaced when more manufacturers start to use the DCT making the competition more difficult.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-29-2013, 05:20 PM

Smile 2014 Chevrolet Spark with CVT gets 39 MPG

According to the latest news from GM Insider, the CVT Spark gets 39 MPG:
GM Inside News Forum
CVT Nets 2014 Chevrolet Spark 39 MPG Highway

This is great for those Spark customers who want a small automatic model with the best economy. I would like to read comments from actual Spark owners about this news, and the MPG rates they get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page