Electronic Parking Brake not working on 2015 Spark EV - Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-11-2020, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Electronic Parking Brake Repair DIY for 2015 Spark EV?

Hi Guys,

I recently failed my yearly safety inspection on my 2015 Spark EV due to the Electric Parking Brake doing nothing at all except making a motorized noise and not holding the car in place.
When I activate the parking brake I certainly can hear the electric actuator. At first, I did not think I could investigate any further without obtaining an absurdly short T-25 Torx key/bit to remove what looks like two bolts that secure the vibration dampener. I am relieved to find that I was able to simply use a 13mm wrench on the top and 14mm on the bottom caliper bolts and the dampener stays attached to the bolt when removed.

I noticed that when I remove some of the plastic inside the wheel-wells and look upwards towards the trunk I see an electric actuator.
I made sure to place a 2x3 piece of wood inside the calipers so I don't get squirted with Brake Fluid again when the piston accidentally pops out. (LOL)
I just removed the rotor and see the disc-drum (Aka Top-Hat) setup. When I activate the parking brake lever I see zero movement.

Has anyone any experience with this Delco 13501701 Parking Brake Module? It seems odd that it would be broken if it makes noise but then again ,maybe it never really worked 100% right to begin with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Control Module.JPG (18.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Hub with 1-12 block.jpg (275.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by SmokeyPete; 08-11-2020 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Better Subject
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-18-2020, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Final Fix

Hey guys,

I ended up pulling the rear cover that covers the underbelly where the exhaust would normally be on an ICE Spark.
I found that the electronic actuator had somehow become disconnected from the right brakes themselves. I don't know how this could have happened or how I got through the last two inspections with the parking park in such a state but it is what is is.

I referenced by friends AllData to inch the brake cables closer and closer using the non-scantool method until I was able to hook things back together: (See Below)

----------------------------------------------------------

Electronic Parking Brake Cable Tensioning

With Scan Tool - Preferred Method

Block the drive wheels.
Install a Scan Tool to the vehicle.
Place the power button in Service Only Mode.
Select Configuration/Reset Functions from the electronic parking brake control module menu.
Perform the Parking Brake Calibration procedure.
Without Scan Tool - Optional Method

Block the drive wheels.
Place the power button in Service Only Mode.
Apply the brake pedal.
Place the transmission in PARK.
Momentarily lift then release the EPB switch to apply the EPB.
Momentarily press down then release the EPB switch to release the EPB.
Repeat step 5 and 6 to cycle the EPB on then off an additional 4 times.
The EPB module will be calibrated and proper tension will be applied to the parking brake cables.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spark Ev Parking Brake Cable fix With Crayon.jpg (171.8 KB, 1 views)
post #3 of 3 Old 08-18-2020, 05:26 PM

Thank you for this instruction!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page