Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums banner

Chevy Spark Engine Oil Discussion

63K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  SpicySpark 
#1 ·
As we all know engine oil is VERY important. Using the right engine oil, changing your oil at the right time and using quality engine oil all go a long way in protecting your biggest investment...your engine!

Sticking to manufacture recommended oil change intervals and grade of oil is fine, but what are you guys doing? how often are you changing your oil? what grade of oil are you using (year round, winter & summer)? brand of oil?

#6 ·
i switched to full synthetic 5w-20(what it recommends) and i have noticed a slight increase in performance. the engine seems to run a little happier i guess you could say. it is more expensive and i can only find the oil filter at an actual chevy dealer but i think its worth putting the car on a synthetic diet.

#11 ·
The twenty in 0W-20 or 5W-20 is the viscosity or "thickness" of the oil once it reaches operating temperature. In that way, both products offer the same protection. The only caveat is that; if the engine is being cold started in subzero temps, you'll definitely want to use 0W-20 in it as it is thinner when cold and can move around within the engine more freely. There is no downside to using the lower winter weight in warmer (near zero) climates. It's just unnecessary in warmer climates.
So, if you're in a warmer temp and zero winter weight isn't available or costs a dollar more, it's not an issue, just go with the five weight because it won't make any difference. If there the same price, maybe get the zero because it has more latitude (no pun intended) but really; it doesn't matter at all.

#12 ·
As we all know engine oil is VERY important. Using the right engine oil, changing your oil at the right time and using quality engine oil all go a long way in protecting your biggest investment...your engine!

Sticking to manufacture recommended oil change intervals and grade of oil is fine, but what are you guys doing? how often are you changing your oil? what grade of oil are you using (year round, winter & summer)? brand of oil?
3 months or 5000 km with what is recommended in my 2022 Chevrolet Spark User manual. I know it's more often than the manual says but I'm sticking with my 3 months or 5000 km.