Chevy Spark Engine Oil Discussion - Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-30-2012, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Chevy Spark Engine Oil Discussion

As we all know engine oil is VERY important. Using the right engine oil, changing your oil at the right time and using quality engine oil all go a long way in protecting your biggest investment...your engine!

Sticking to manufacture recommended oil change intervals and grade of oil is fine, but what are you guys doing? how often are you changing your oil? what grade of oil are you using (year round, winter & summer)? brand of oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-31-2012, 06:23 PM

I stick to Castrol! During summer and winter I usually use different grades of oil. Thicker in winter so it's harder to freeze and easy on the engine during really cold start ups... and regular manufacture recommended grade of oil for summer.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkFan View Post
I stick to Castrol! During summer and winter I usually use different grades of oil. Thicker in winter so it's harder to freeze and easy on the engine during really cold start ups... and regular manufacture recommended grade of oil for summer.
I thought it was the other way around?

Chrissy V
Awaiting Salsa 2013 Spark

post #4 of 11 Old 10-04-2012, 04:23 PM

Yea, I'm pretty sure your supposed to use thinner oil in the winter and thicker in the heat of summer?
post #5 of 11 Old 10-05-2012, 05:20 PM

thicker oil in the winter makes sense as it doesn't freeze as quick, and when you engine heats up to running temperature the oil thins out so it works out really good in the end!
post #6 of 11 Old 08-31-2013, 07:45 PM

The manual says to use 5w-20 for most driving conditions, and 0w-30 for sub-freezing temperatures. I'll be using 5w-20 year round unless I go up to Canada where it gets really cold. For those ski trips, etc. I'll make sure to switch over to the 0 weight oil before heading North.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-30-2013, 01:01 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to mrtwiggy
i switched to full synthetic 5w-20(what it recommends) and i have noticed a slight increase in performance. the engine seems to run a little happier i guess you could say. it is more expensive and i can only find the oil filter at an actual chevy dealer but i think its worth putting the car on a synthetic diet.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-01-2013, 06:13 PM

mrtwiggy,

I've also found a slight increase in gas mileage and performance when switching to Mobil 1 instead of the factory Dexos oil. Plus, you can rest assured that the 7,500 mile oil change interval can be reached with Mobil 1.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 10:12 PM

I use a synthetic blend every 3,000 miless ish. Sometimes I go over to 3,500
post #10 of 11 Old 01-31-2015, 11:30 PM

for oil/air filters I found at Parts Geek,,on line .oil is wix,,8.99 but they charge about that for shipping so filter alone is 18.33 with shipping ,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page