No scheduled maintenance required for some of the Spark's powertrain? - Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-14-2012, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

No scheduled maintenance required for some of the Spark's powertrain?

I was reading online that the Chevy Spark engine timing chain requires no scheduled maintenance along with other things such as the electronic power steering system and transmission fluid. All of this is suppose to last the life of our Spark's... Is this even possible?

Are there any other functional parts of Spark that require very little to no maintenance?

here's the article
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 PM

Transmission fluid that lasts the life of the vehicle is something I never heard of, ever. Time to look into this.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-23-2012, 05:52 PM

I don't think that is healthy. Even if it does last the life. It's not good for the car so why not just change it?

Chrissy V
Awaiting Salsa 2013 Spark

post #4 of 13 Old 11-23-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvy View Post
I don't think that is healthy. Even if it does last the life. It's not good for the car so why not just change it?
We'll see how this holds up over time but im sure if you really want the parts changed you can request they do it.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknew1985 View Post
I have also noticed the the spark plugs should be good up to 100,000 miles. I wonder if this will cause some problems when you actually replace them. I believe a broken spark plug would be frustrating at the very least and may even be expensive if it requires a special tool to remove it.
Yes I heard situations where a broken spark plug really messed up the engine, repair turned out to far exceed the cost of just changing the spark plugs.

Must be the type of spark plugs Chevy is using that allows it to last so long but if you feel like they should be changed sooner, why not?
post #6 of 13 Old 12-03-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
My brother has a truck with a Triton V8 engine. The spark plugs have a similar scheduled maintenance mileage requirement. He researched the subject two months before he planned to actually replace them. I cannot remember the details, but he was able to run either a higher octane fuel or some type of additive through his fuel prior to the replacement that made the spark plugs easier to remove without breaking them. Given the fact that I am only at 1100 miles, I have long time to get prepared to face any challenging maintenance on my car. Chevrolet has had 3 years to build these cars, I hope they have taken the ease of replacement into consideration for the parts that are high mileage replacements.
any insight on how high octane fuel helps with removing spark plug? I don't understand how that would work
post #7 of 13 Old 12-04-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I talked to him last night. It is not higher octane fuel, but the E85 fuel that you can run two tanks through before you change them. That fuel somehow causes the engine to burn hotter in the cylinders and burn off any carbon build up that might lock the spark plug in place and cause you to break it off. It seems to be a common issue with that engine. He did break one spark plug during his replacement, but doing the work himself saved him hundreds of dollars. I may put my car on the ramps this weekend to see where everything is under and over the engine so that I will have an idea of where the spark plugs and oil filter are located. If nothing else, I will at least become more familiar with the car.
People also use a product called SeaFoam to rid of carbon build up and other gunk and built up stuff in the engine.

Seafoam would be a good option IMO.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-08-2012, 11:42 AM

There is a graphite based coating for spark plug threads that will allow electricity to conduct, but withstands heat and works as a dry lubricant so the plugs are easy to remove later.

BTW, my 2009 Chevy Equinox has no user maintenance for the transmission, and has an electric power assist for steering, so the only fluids to be checked are engine oil, coolant, and brake. The dealer does the transmission fluid check once a year. The spark plugs are platinum tipped, so they don't accumulate carbon and don't need changing for a long time.

GM is reducing maintenance costs by designing better components and having longer periods between changes. This is why GM vehicles get better each year.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-11-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondjram View Post
There is a graphite based coating for spark plug threads that will allow electricity to conduct, but withstands heat and works as a dry lubricant so the plugs are easy to remove later.
That helps, I guess no need to run E85 before a spark plug change,
Raymondjram likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-12-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

I think just about any auto parts store will have them, i swear i just saw them the other day, isn't it some grey metallic looking liquid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page