Mpg - Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-09-2013, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Mpg

I have a spark 6k miles I use mobile1 5w30 syn oil and I use a kn air filter. But I'm only averaging 27mpg city driving is that normal or should I switch to a 5w20 oil???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-09-2013, 05:47 PM

welcome to the forum

good to hear you're using quality products on your Spark. I guess your doing these oil changes by yourself at home?

You can try 5w20, since it's thicker (am i right?) it should help with keeping the engine cooler and maybe resulting in better performance, rather than a thinner oil that would allow for more friction when fully heated up.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-09-2013, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

To be honest my oil cap says dexos5w20 but I'm yet to see any oil maker stamp a 5w20dexos approved sticker on there bottle right now the only reason I'm useing m15w30 is because its desks approved I change my oil every 2k miles I'm about do for my third change and I was wondering if any other brand synthetic meets dexos and is available in 5w20. Thanks for your response and thanks for the warm welcome

post #4 of 11 Old 04-09-2013, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

I love m1 but I'm not sure about there 5w20 I called mobil and they said they don't know when they plan on adding the additives in there 5w20 they told me to use 5w30 for the time being because I could void my warranty if I don't use anything that isn't dexos approved
post #5 of 11 Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

This is the first year a gm car was ever factory filled with 5w20 this dexos stuff started in 2011 and it was Allways 5w30 not this 5w20 crap
post #6 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankspark View Post
To be honest my oil cap says dexos5w20 but I'm yet to see any oil maker stamp a 5w20dexos approved sticker on there bottle right now the only reason I'm useing m15w30 is because its desks approved I change my oil every 2k miles I'm about do for my third change and I was wondering if any other brand synthetic meets dexos and is available in 5w20. Thanks for your response and thanks for the warm welcome
I haven't looked into this as yet but if I find out what other brand's synthetic oil meet dexos and is available in 5w20, i'll make sure to let you know.

At the moment, im guessing Motul carries this.

Quote:
I love m1 but I'm not sure about there 5w20 I called mobil and they said they don't know when they plan on adding the additives in there 5w20 they told me to use 5w30 for the time being because I could void my warranty if I don't use anything that isn't dexos approved
Mobil 1 is usually good for this kind of stuff, I guess the market for that specific blend of oil isn't big enough for them to get into it yet. I wonder why GM had to go with that for the Spark, why not keep things simple?

It's a simple car, which is a great thing, why complicate things?

Quote:
This is the first year a gm car was ever factory filled with 5w20 this dexos stuff started in 2011 and it was Allways 5w30 not this 5w20 crap
I'm starting to think they added that oil this year to help with fuel economy or something as important as that, Otherwise I bet some "regular" oil can be used.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-29-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
The service schedule indicates to change the oil every 7500 miles if necessary. May I ask why you are changing it on 2000 mile intervals?
post #8 of 11 Old 06-20-2013, 08:47 PM

7500 miles for me & the OEM oil (whatever the dealership uses) works for me !

2016 Spark 1LT on short list
post #9 of 11 Old 08-30-2013, 10:00 PM

I'd highly recommend using 5w20 oil, as the Spark's engine was designed to use 5w20. Going with a 5w30 oil may reduce fuel economy as it's thicker when warm.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-31-2013, 01:25 PM

CASTROL EDGE with SYNTEC
You can use Castrol Edge Full Synthetic ( I will at the first oil change)- The tight engine tolerances of the Spark need 5-20 oil and The tires came with 40 pounds , Many people are saying put in 32 BUT the frame on the front door has the tire specks and specifically reads 40 Pounds air pressure ALL tires. Less than recommended is only going to make the tire wear uneven and give you poorer mileage???
I love my New Lemonade LS 2013 model with the 5 speed stick shift its a BLAST to drive compared to the Sport Trac I traded in!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page