Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Chevrolet has a big change in store for its little Spark sub-compact: the four-speed automatic will disappear to be replaced by a CVT.

A General Motors representative has yet to confirm that the change will take place, but if documents on enthusiast forum GM Inside News prove to be true, the sub-compact four-door hatch will likely offer improved fuel economy, perhaps in line with the 38 highway mpg quoted with the five-speed manual that will also remain in the lineup.

Currently, the automatic Spark delivers an EPA estimated 32 mpg combined. GM uses a 1.25-liter dual-overhead cam four cylinder engine with 84 hp. Unlike other sub-compacts it competes with, the Spark offers separate doors for the rear-seat passengers.

The documents posted didn’t list other major mechanical changes to the car

·
Registered
22 Posts
CVT will help this car, since it is meant more for the city. A CVT may be the best compromise for gearing, shifting and noise.

·
Registered
153 Posts
CVT will help this car, since it is meant more for the city. A CVT may be the best compromise for gearing, shifting and noise.
Yup, CVT transmission in the chevy spark will help a lot. Increase gas mileage, reduce cabin noise, smoother ride....FINALLY we get a nice upgrade.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm personally not a huge fan of the CVT transmission. But from what it could do with helping the fuel economy this might interest more owners to focus and buy the Spark for its purpose. The spark is one of the many in this competitive segment and to see how chevy is coming up with ideas to make the spark more efficient shows us that they care.

·
Registered
153 Posts
CVT is a step up but I was just thinking about it the other day, what if they put a dual clutch transmission into the Spark, it would solve a few problems and make the Spark even more enjoyable.

Of course there's a long way to go before we'll ever see a DCT compact car like the Spark but it's going to happen one day.

Does anyone know if there are any compact cars out at the moment with a dual clutch transmission?

·
Registered
227 Posts
A couple years back the CVT hit the market and it seems as if every manufacturer wanted a piece of it. But now with the trend and proven benefits of a dual clutch transmission, that is the next big thing. the only thing stopping it from being in lower end cars is the cost of a dct.

Thinking compact wise I think the newer Ford focus utilizes the DCT transmission.

·
Registered
153 Posts
A couple years back the CVT hit the market and it seems as if every manufacturer wanted a piece of it. But now with the trend and proven benefits of a dual clutch transmission, that is the next big thing. the only thing stopping it from being in lower end cars is the cost of a dct.

Thinking compact wise I think the newer Ford focus utilizes the DCT transmission.
Also the new Dodge Dart has DCT (i think) and apparently Dodge Dart owners are getting great gas mileage.

Although CVT lasted a short time, I think DCT will be the new mainstream transmission to be used and should last really long.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Cvt transmission might not be the best for the others but for the Spark i think it would make sense. For the price i wouldn't see why they shouldnt put thr cvt in the spark. In time the cvt will be replaced when more manufacturers start to use the DCT making the competition more difficult.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only thing I'm worried about with the CVT is that the car might have slower acceleration compared to the 4 speed auto and manual.

·
Registered
33 Posts
CVT should help keep the gas motor in it's sweet spot (max HP & torque) but wonder how much weight the CVT adds ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's 2020 and I still own a Chevrolet Spark automatic. I have been thinking about taking it to a scrap yard as it's in poor condition but my daughter got her driver's license and I think I'll keep the car as dummy for her to learn on. I was surprised how durable the engine is. It has a mileage of around 120k and I didn't have to invest in repair works at all. Plus it is very economical even by today's standards with all the motor manufacturers switching to electrically driven cars or hybrids.
glad to hear your Spark is holding up. Should be a good training car for your duaghter!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts