Sales of mini cars are strong around the world, but not so much in the U.S. The Smart car or Scion iQ haven't exactly set sales records, but that's not stopping General Motors from bringing its next small offering, the Chevrolet Spark, which will be even smaller than the Sonic it already has on sale.When you consider how the Spark has sold around the world, bringing it to the U.S. doesn't look so crazy anymore. It wasn't like GM had to develop a whole new car. Rather, all it had to do was modify the worldwide Spark to meet American safety and tech standards and smooth out its ride.
GM has amassed some interesting facts about the Spark, with sales of 600,000 worldwide and growing, since it launched in South Korea in 2009:
- The Spark is the best-selling Chevy vehicle in India.
- Pink is the preferred color in South Korea.
- In Africa, customers' favorite color choices are red, cocktail green and atomic blue.
- In Australia, the Spark was originally only offered with a manual transmission.
- The Spark represents 40% of all General Motors vehicle sales in Lebanon.