Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums banner

Chevy Spark EV vs. BMW i3

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  TwoFace 
Since the reveal of the BMW i3 the Internet has been uzzing about how this is the EV that is going to change everything. The Chevy Spark EV has gotten stellar reviews as well, so I thought it would be worthwhile doing a quick comparison of the two.

BMW i3
- starting price just under $43,000 US.
- made with carbon-fibre-reinforced polymer (CFRP) which is as strong as steel, but half the weight.
- design uses dry grass in the dashboard, and recycled soda bottles in the seat covers.
- range of 80-100 miles from a 22-kilowatt-hour battery pack.
- 170 HP

Chevy Spark EV
- starting price of $27,495, but this decreases to $19,995 in the USA because of tax incentives (I'd assume tax incentives may apply to the i3 as well.)
- 21-kilo-watt-hour battery pack with a range of 82 miles.
- 140 HP
- only available in Oregon and California at the moment.

I think the biggest thing separating the two vehicles is the price. People need to decide if they want a cheaper EV, or a more expensive one. Thoughts?
besides the price biggest diff to me is the torque, the supposed driving masters at BMW bring out the i3 with languid figures, probably drives like a piece of plywood. the i3 has 184 lb-ft of torque, how come Chevy can get 400 lb-ft out of the Spark?

I think internet media has it backwards, the Spark is the EV to change them all. Little shoe box that out torques a Ferrari, yes please.

The BMW i3 out does the Spark in terms of HP though. It's hard to compare the vehicles on driving experience since I haven't driven both. I can't wait to see some reviews of the BMW i3 to make it easier to compare to the Spark.
yea but the torque is the important bit, torque directly affects acceleration. the Spark with more than double the lb-fts will not only crush the i3 off the line, but also out corner it as it gets its power down faster.

Sorry I'm battling a bout of insanity brought on by discussing the raceability of woodsheds...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.