Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
After 5 months and 4000 miles, I was averaging around 36 for several fill ups, but the last two fill ups I've only averaged 32-33. I wonder if it has anything to do with the "winter blend"?

And I named mine Sparky too! LOL

Just might be that "winter blend". I think the rest test on the max amount of MPG's you can get will come in spring as it does have perfect conditions for an engine. Not too hot, not too cold, just enough cool air for an engine to be happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Once I get my car I plan on doing a couple of things which have added to MPG's on my other car. I will post once I can. But I hope u guys know pulling as much of the factory air box out and replacing it with a straight pipe to a high flow air filter, will not only add to the MPG, but performance too. Also over the "life" of the car if you use medium grade, you will see overall better MPG. The lower the gas grade the higher the likelyhood of that gas leaving deposits in the intake manifold which will rob MPG's. I plan on using medium for all my city driving, and 87 grade only if driving for long highway trips. With a fuel injection cleaner used at every oil change. Also the rigth oil will help with MPG's. I recommend full synthetic 5W-20. Get the 5quart value pack at Walmart, and change the filter too. If you plan on keeping the car for 100,000 miles+. It will be worth it. A little extra money every 3,000 miles will save you money at every 300 miles, for that full up.

I plan on seeing 35 heavy cityMPG/ and 42+ highwayMPG. The real test will be in Nov when I drive to Tenn, from NYC and back. A 1,200 mile trip I do every year. My other car rated at 27 highway gets 31.5 MPG.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Once I get my car I plan on doing a couple of things which have added to MPG's on my other car. I will post once I can. But I hope u guys know pulling as much of the factory air box out and replacing it with a straight pipe to a high flow air filter, will not only add to the MPG, but performance too. Also over the "life" of the car if you use medium grade, you will see overall better MPG. The lower the gas grade the higher the likelyhood of that gas leaving deposits in the intake manifold which will rob MPG's. I plan on using medium for all my city driving, and 87 grade only if driving for long highway trips. With a fuel injection cleaner used at every oil change. Also the rigth oil will help with MPG's. I recommend full synthetic 5W-20. Get the 5quart value pack at Walmart, and change the filter too. If you plan on keeping the car for 100,000 miles+. It will be worth it. A little extra money every 3,000 miles will save you money at every 300 miles, for that full up.

I plan on seeing 35 heavy cityMPG/ and 42+ highwayMPG. The real test will be in Nov when I drive to Tenn, from NYC and back. A 1,200 mile trip I do every year. My other car rated at 27 highway gets 31.5 MPG.
GM says to only change the oil when the car tells you to, not every 3000 miles like what used to be the standard. In fact, you could void your warranty if you change it before the car tells you to.

Also, you're taking a 1200 mile trip in a Chevy Spark? I hope it's just you and maybe one other, otherwise it's going to be an uncomfortable trip. Don't get me wrong, I like how my Spark drives and rides. And it's great for even 100 - 200 mile trips, but anything longer than that, the car will get a little cramped and there's no room for any decent size luggage.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Here are some numbers published on a website that did a long term test on a 2013 Spark...

Total Kilometers

Total Miles

Litres Consumed ($1.352/litre)

Gallons Consumed ($5.118/gallon)

Overall L/100 Kilometers

Overall Miles Per Gallon

Cost Per Kilometer
$0.08

Cost Per Mile
$0.13

EPA MPG Combined

EPA MPG City

EPA MPG Highway

EPA MPG Combined
Converted To L/100km

EPA MPG City
Converted To L/100km

EPA MPG Highway
Converted To L/100km
Thanks for providing this info I thought for a second there that something was wrong with our Spark because we were no where near 41 mpgs. But it make sense because we are city dwellers anyways so we do go through some fuel during rush hour.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live a few miles outside of town and most of my driving is 35 to 55 mph. In five tank fulls I've averaged 40.5 mpg.

There are a few things I have noticed about the Sparks fuel consumption. Heavy city traffic will lower mileage to about 34 mpg. At a steady 50 mph in 5th gear you can reach 45 mpg, that's about the most efficient you can get.
At speeds above 60 mph the gas mileage will start dropping pretty quickly for every 5 mph increase in speed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I live a few miles outside of town and most of my driving is 35 to 55 mph. In five tank fulls I've averaged 40.5 mpg.

There are a few things I have noticed about the Sparks fuel consumption. Heavy city traffic will lower mileage to about 34 mpg. At a steady 50 mph in 5th gear you can reach 45 mpg, that's about the most efficient you can get.
At speeds above 60 mph the gas mileage will start dropping pretty quickly for every 5 mph increase in speed.
That sounds about right with what I am experiencing. I feel like they should make 5th gear longer to make driving at 65mph better for fuel. 50mph is too slow on the freeway.

City traffic can kill the mileage on anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I Love my little "Sparky"! Traded a 11 year old sport trac that was starting to cost me $$$ . The Manual Revs out Nice in 2nd and 3rd Gear BUT is a snale in 1st Gear? Just gotta use 1st to get moving and then the other gears rev out nice.

Anyone have the 2014 CVT transmission? Wonder about its Pep?

Lemonade was my choice and I Love the front look!!!

It will also fit in the garage in front of My Spyder Can Am,s During the winter Snow Storms!!!:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Sarge707,

I test drove a manual before buying my automatic Spark and found the same thing too. 1st gear is a little too short for my liking, and 4th/5th are a bit too tall. I came around a bend and had to downshift otherwise the engine bogged down even at 30MPH. I ended up with an automatic because 90% of my driving is in the city, and it still returns decent gas mileage. Mid-30's in town and close to 40 when on the highway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi... I've been driving my Spark since mid-July, and mileage got noteably better after about 60 days. Went from 37 to 40 or so. Then we had a coldsnap (temps in the teens) and I seemed to use a bit more fuel. Now that we're in the 50s again, I am consistently getting 41-42 mpg.

Oh... I should add... I am using the highest octane fuel available. The first month I discovered that anything under 90 octane dropped the mileage by 3-5 mpg. So it just made sense. . .

21 - 40 of 50 Posts