Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this interesting article from MotorTrend. They raise some pretty interesting points. Some may consider 3 cylinder engine a downsize in power, but it can also be seen as a quieter engine with quicker throttle response. What do you guys think? Would you be willing to go for a 3 cylinder engine Spark?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would only agree with this suggestion for a 3 cylinder engine if they put a turbocharger on it to help with some performance and efficiency. If this is true for chevy then this spark should just be good for traveling around the city. I can't imagine how it would keep up with freeway speeds. A fleet of rentals around the city would be best.

·
Registered
220 Posts
This actually sounds like a pretty good idea, if not a lot is lost in performance. If Chevy can pull it off than the Spark will become more successful. Especially if they can reduce the price. But top priority should be retaining power. This remains to be seen though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I question whether this will actually increase the fuel efficiency on the Spark. By replacing the 4 cylinder with 3 cylinders, wouldn't it require more out of the engine to get moving, and to add a Turbo, it would only add to that. I doubt there will be much difference between the two engine types when it comes to mpg.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have never heard of a three cylinder vehicle and unsure if it can actually benefit the mileage on the spark. Another thing if they do decide to go through with that idea is maybe add and electric motor for more assistant making it a hybrid.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have never heard of a three cylinder vehicle and unsure if it can actually benefit the mileage on the spark. Another thing if they do decide to go through with that idea is maybe add and electric motor for more assistant making it a hybrid.
That would be kinda odd to got through that much trouble. But Chevy already has a Spark EV.

·
Registered
151 Posts
yes i know know about the spark EV but having to recharge it is kind of annoying. its not like gas where you just fill up and go when you run out. there is a down time. And I remember and article where people left their cars to charge in the parking lot and when they came back all the plugs were pulled and not charged enough for them to go home.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I know what you mean for security but for the Spark EV you can expect up to 60-70 mpgs. Will they be able to do that with this three cylinder?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes i know know about the spark EV but having to recharge it is kind of annoying. its not like gas where you just fill up and go when you run out. there is a down time. And I remember and article where people left their cars to charge in the parking lot and when they came back all the plugs were pulled and not charged enough for them to go home.
That's uncalled for. I don't know where those people are located, but people have better sense where I live.

There must be a way to get a some sort of lock/guard to prevent this.

While the EV is the better option. The 3 cylinder would be much cheaper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts