Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of the Spark EV's mile range? It will will be able to drive 82 miles on a fully charged battery. For long distance driving, this can be very limiting. Though it can charge up to 80% in just 20 minutes. Is stopping every 80 miles for 20 minutes practical?

·
Registered
153 Posts
82 miles is sufficient. Keep in mind EV's at the moment are mainly intended for use within your own city or just about anywhere you won't be stranded and always have range or some sort to charge it.

I see Spark EV's being used a lot in busy cities as commuter cars so in that case 82 miles is more than enough, great if you want to run some errands after work before heading home.

From what i've seen a good number of parkades have a few parking spots with EV charging units, anywhere outside of a busy city...GOOD LUCK. Even in some suburbs you might be SOL.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You also have to keep in mind that the Spark isn't a very big car and as a result doesn't have a very big battery. The battery is ony 20kWh. It is however the most efficient vehicle with a fuel economy of 118 MPGe. Like chevysub said, it's not meant for long distance travel.

·
Registered
227 Posts
there is absolutely nothing to complain about the 119 mg on the spark EV. Sometimes these numbers just make me want to hug a tree. Or maybe buy one just to commute to work but i can't justify the price and power.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I always question the EPA range rating, a number of times they have been wrong and I learned to never trust their numbers. We'll be better off relying on real world numbers from other members, but at least the EPA rating is a good number to go off of.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If it takes 20 minutes to charge up to 80%, how long does the remaining 20 minutes take? Hours?

That said I don't think ppl can complain with a 119mpg equivalent on the Spark EV.
I can't seem to find the full charge time online. But the 20 minute charge time only comes with the optional DC fast charging system.

Otherwise, the Spark EV without this option takes a full 7 hours to fully charge.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I always question the EPA range rating, a number of times they have been wrong and I learned to never trust their numbers. We'll be better off relying on real world numbers from other members, but at least the EPA rating is a good number to go off of.
Yeah that is true but usually even real world numbers would yield something close. so what even if its like 90mpe that is still phenomenal. And also this is only the beginning for EVs just wait till its in full sequence we could possibly be seeing 200mpe.

·
Registered
165 Posts
yeah but to finally set an average number with real world testing and getting those numbers off a forum, it's going to take a while as quite a few things factor into that number such as...how that person drives, weather, road conditions, traffic, cargo, amount/weight of passengers, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think it depends more so on how the car is being driven depending on city or highway too. i would imagine those numbers would be more so a highway because of the amount. Just incredible though to see such numbers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts