Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I dont think its a feature they purposely left out because really how much will they save. Maybe its just something they forgot about. Now that makes me think did they rush it?

·
Registered
227 Posts
this has me wondering as well why such a simple yet important feature was left out. I mean really now with how cars are today this should of been one of the fundamental features really.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Also the steering wheel is tilt only. With a car that's suppose to be so versatile it should at least be someone telescopic

·
Registered
6 Posts
They are illuminated, I've had mine for six weeks, believing that they were behaving normally. Talked to the Chevy customer line today, and they set me up with a service call at my dealership, to correct the problem. It turns out that quite a few people have this problem. If your steering wheel lights are not working, contact your dealer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are illuminated, I've had mine for six weeks, believing that they were behaving normally. Talked to the Chevy customer line today, and they set me up with a service call at my dealership, to correct the problem. It turns out that quite a few people have this problem. If your steering wheel lights are not working, contact your dealer.
Awesome, thanks for the tip and the photo! I'm calling my local dealer tomorrow!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry for the misinformation, but as it turns out, after getting the service bulletin, the older models did have a backlight, the updated models do not. So if you do not have the light, you actually have the updated model.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for the misinformation, but as it turns out, after getting the service bulletin, the older models did have a backlight, the updated models do not. So if you do not have the light, you actually have the updated model.
When did you buy yours? What year/model? My dealer is now telling me they do not light up. Your steering wheel looks just like mine, proving to me that they could have lit the controls. I see this as a safety hazard actually because I'm always fumbling in the dark or haveing to turn on the dome light to see them. Your photo proves that they have the capability because your steering wheel looks exactly like mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There seems to be a lot of misinformation regarding this going around. I just returned from my dealer this morning, he was on the phone with GM, and they swore that they don't light.
I've done quite a bit of research regarding this, and so far, what I've found is that the 2013 Chevy Spark with a build date of up to Sept.2012, don't light, the ones that I have seen light (at least 6) have a build date of Nov. 2012. I think they may have started adding the lights due to complaints, and are denying it, so they don't catch any flak. I was hoping for a retrofit or a new wheel, but they claim the wiring is not there. You are absolutely right, these things are a hazard, they are totally invisible at night, as the area around the wheel is extremely dark. It seems Chevy is not going to do right, and just leave the non backlit models hang.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There seems to be a lot of misinformation regarding this going around. I just returned from my dealer this morning, he was on the phone with GM, and they swore that they don't light.
I've done quite a bit of research regarding this, and so far, what I've found is that the 2013 Chevy Spark with a build date of up to Sept.2012, don't light, the ones that I have seen light (at least 6) have a build date of Nov. 2012. I think they may have started adding the lights due to complaints, and are denying it, so they don't catch any flak. I was hoping for a retrofit or a new wheel, but they claim the wiring is not there. You are absolutely right, these things are a hazard, they are totally invisible at night, as the area around the wheel is extremely dark. It seems Chevy is not going to do right, and just leave the non backlit models hang.
GM should make it right with those who bought a car when they first came out. I'm not going to stop pursuit of this until I make someone at GM very angry! Thanks for the information, please keep us informed of any new information you obtain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I do intend to contact someone at Chevrolet regarding this, it's just a matter of whom. I don't want to get involved with some lacky yes man. I do sincerely believe from my experience with the lower level GM people, that they are not aware of this change over, and most, if not all of the higher ups, who would be in the position to make things right, also are not aware of this change. The problem is that most people accept it, if everyone would give a collective scream, it would be addressed quickly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is really concerning, and if this ends up being true, I'm going to be feeling really cheated by Chevy. Can we get an official rep on here to clear this up?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I spoke to a GM rep today who called my dealer that I bought the car from and they told him if one buys the car "with that option" then they light, otherwise they don't. Excuse me, but I bought the 2LT model, which is top model in this car's lineup, Shouldn't that come with all options?? I think like waltk, I think they fixed an issue that they found out about after the first few production runs, and they don't want to eat the expense on going back and fixing the first ones made. I've always heard never buy a car after it first comes out, let them get the bugs out first. I guess this is ringing true. I thought that since this car has been sold over seas for so long, we would be safe and 'bugfree'. I guess GM is willing to risk future sales and creating VERY dissatisfied customers than to spend a little money and make things right with their loyal customers. GM...ARE YOU LISTENING ?????

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are no options other than the black paint for which I paid $200+ for, I also have the 2LT, and those controls are standard. I took a real good look at that picture of the steering wheel, and I notice that there is a very subtle difference. The cruise control graphics on the controls on the left side of the wheel, the "+ and -" are placed differently than what is on my wheel. Which proves that they must be installing a new setup on the wheel. I have no doubt of the change over, because I've got printouts from guys who have stated that they have illuminated steering wheel controls, I have actually seen interior night shots of illuminated window buttons, along with the wheel. I have my car eight weeks, and I paid full sticker, now this issue is not a deal breaker for me, I love the car, and I was unhappy with the lighting issue, but accepted it, thinking that this was normal. Now I feel that we were all scr***d by GM, and I don't like it.
I have some names that I am trying to connect with email addresses, as I said before, I am done with the lower tier guys, it is time to climb the ladder. I feel that all of us with Sept. and prior builds, should be upgraded, at the least, that would be the right thing to do, even if it had to be a full blown recall. Our taxes just bailed them out awhile ago. Just admit you messed up, and fix it. Sorry for the long post, I just get ticked off, when someone is telling me it isn't Thursday, when my calender says it is.:)
The Internet is a powerful tool, and I intend to utilize it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I spoke to Gm over the phone today, who admitted to me that they were screwing the people who bought the first versions of the car on this issue. In his words, "it would cost you too much money to retrofit all the wiring and wheel".

In my words to him "You sir are saving $300 now and giving up $20000 later when I never buy a GM product again!"

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been able to obtain a couple of email addresses, of the upper echelon in Michigan. They check out as legit, but sometimes these guys run spam filters, so people like us can't email them. We will see, I plan to send out a few mails on Monday.
These phone reps are powerless, we need some guys with clout, that can get things done. I also am considering filing a complaint with the NHTSA, citing this as an unsafe problem, that has been rectified, with the exception of of the pre Nov. 2012 builds, such as ours that were left in an unsafe state. Chevy didn't fix this, because they are nice guys, it was a necessary fix, that should have included all. I would also like to know, was there any other unadvertised changes made? This is the site where recalls begin, but it takes more than just a few complaints. Here is the link https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
I will wait until Monday, to see what kind of responses I receive, i also have a few promising phone #'s. I fully intend to keep pursuing this, until there is some sort of resolution. I will keep you informed. If nothing happens on Monday, then, there is always Tuesday. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts