Chevy Spark Forum : Chevrolet Spark Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
first will be suspension, coilovers or springs....whichever becomes available first, then move onto rims.

later on i'll look into upgrading the audio system

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would look in to suspension first not only for looks but for better dampening as well. and will probably get better wheels.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Tints would actually a first thing to consider as well. On my previous cars its always alarm and tints. then comes any serious mods.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It ll be a while till i do anything to it. Since its still a new car i wouldnt let the new parts go to waste (Sound system, suspension, tires etc.) Although it would be nice to have a better sound system. That'll be the first mod of choice.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thinking about getting some wheels but not sure what is nice. Any suggestions??????

I want to change my blinkers to pink leds

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've already added the tint to all windows, I also put in new speakers all around, since the ones that came with it totally suck. I chose Pioneers. The problem is you just cannot get enough rich bass out of speakers this small, no matter what. So I may have to modify the rear speaker brackets to hold larger ones, and/or add a subwoofer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also put in new speakers all around, since the ones that came with it totally suck. I chose Pioneers. The problem is you just cannot get enough rich bass out of speakers this small, no matter what. So I may have to modify the rear speaker brackets to hold larger ones, and/or add a subwoofer.
While getting my tour of the Spark at my local Chevy dealer I had a chance to mess around with the audio system and I agree it sucks big time, but when a car is priced as cheap as the Spark, I guess we can't expect too much from it.

Eventually I will want to do an audio upgrade, would you mind posting a DIY on how you changed the speakers, would really hate to mess up brand new door panels!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
what percent tint did you go with? any pictures for us to see?
I went with 22, because I have 15 on my truck and it's too dark to see out of at night. The 22 is lighter during the day than I wanted, but it's still enough to block lots of heat and light, and it's enough to make the looks of the car VERy sharp. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
While getting my tour of the Spark at my local Chevy dealer I had a chance to mess around with the audio system and I agree it sucks big time, but when a car is priced as cheap as the Spark, I guess we can't expect too much from it.

Eventually I will want to do an audio upgrade, would you mind posting a DIY on how you changed the speakers, would really hate to mess up brand new door panels!!!
I thought the back speakers would be the easiest, wrong, they are the easiest to access, but the bolt patterns are not conventional. I had to take the factory speakers out, and I made a wooden speaker mount that I mounted my NEW speakers to, and I drilled holes in the wooden mount to match the car's factory speaker mounts in the rear. After doing all of that, I'm not happy with the speakers I put back there, they are just not enough. Eventually I'm going to modify further for larger speakers, but I'm thinking on how I want to approach that one...

For the front speakers, take the glove box out (this is explained in the manual that comes with the car). Now you can reach up under the dash to the factory speakers. The speaker covers have snaps around it, (I think about three). All you have to do is push ONE of them in and push up on it, then the speaker cover will pop right out. The passenger is easiest. The driver's side is a bit more difficult but doable. Push in the clutch all the way, shine your flashlight up towards the dash board looking up right in front of the clutch pedal. You'll see the speaker, it's a clear shot, but you have to hold the clutch pedal in as well (if you have a standar, which I do). Snap the speaker grill off from the bottom of this side as well.

Now you will need a very small screwdriver to get the speakers exchanged, as there is not much clearance between the speaker and windshield.

I cut the ends off of the speaker wire and wired in my own connectors for my new speakers.

I'm not happy with the front ones I bought either. They are all pioneers, which is a great brand, but the problem is, there's just not much sound quality that can come out of such small speakers, no matter who makes them.

Don't get me wrong, it's MUCH improved over the stock, but not good enough for me :)

Now I will say this, since the speaker upgrade, that annoying DINGING from the car computer (like when you don't have your seatbelt on) is a lot louder because it comes from the front left speaker :LOL:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought the back speakers would be the easiest, wrong, they are the easiest to access, but the bolt patterns are not conventional. I had to take the factory speakers out, and I made a wooden speaker mount that I mounted my NEW speakers to, and I drilled holes in the wooden mount to match the car's factory speaker mounts in the rear. After doing all of that, I'm not happy with the speakers I put back there, they are just not enough. Eventually I'm going to modify further for larger speakers, but I'm thinking on how I want to approach that one...

For the front speakers, take the glove box out (this is explained in the manual that comes with the car). Now you can reach up under the dash to the factory speakers. The speaker covers have snaps around it, (I think about three). All you have to do is push ONE of them in and push up on it, then the speaker cover will pop right out. The passenger is easiest. The driver's side is a bit more difficult but doable. Push in the clutch all the way, shine your flashlight up towards the dash board looking up right in front of the clutch pedal. You'll see the speaker, it's a clear shot, but you have to hold the clutch pedal in as well (if you have a standar, which I do). Snap the speaker grill off from the bottom of this side as well.

Now you will need a very small screwdriver to get the speakers exchanged, as there is not much clearance between the speaker and windshield.

I cut the ends off of the speaker wire and wired in my own connectors for my new speakers.

I'm not happy with the front ones I bought either. They are all pioneers, which is a great brand, but the problem is, there's just not much sound quality that can come out of such small speakers, no matter who makes them.

Don't get me wrong, it's MUCH improved over the stock, but not good enough for me :)

Now I will say this, since the speaker upgrade, that annoying DINGING from the car computer (like when you don't have your seatbelt on) is a lot louder because it comes from the front left speaker :LOL:
LOL sucks that dinging sound is louder. Hows sound quality now? any distortion? what spec speakers did you go with? model number?
I'm thinking about getting thicker wires just to make sure sound quality is top notch!

·
Registered
115 Posts
How would a larger subwoofer be like for the car? It is a small car, worried things would rattle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thinking about getting some wheels but not sure what is nice. Any suggestions??????

I want to change my blinkers to pink leds
Pink LEDS would be sweet! I may get those one day!
In a way it's nice to leave the car in 'just got it' look for awhile. Once you tint the windows, add wheels, even though it may look better, it loses some of the "I bet she just got that new car' looks.
The Spark just came out, and around here there is very few. I am going to enjoy the 'new car look' for awhile. Heck, it is not even 2013! Enjoy our Sparks!:p

·
Registered
22 Posts

Thanks for the information on changing speakers! That is very useful!
How about neon under the car?

·
Registered
46 Posts
LOL sucks that dinging sound is louder. Hows sound quality now? any distortion? what spec speakers did you go with? model number?
I'm thinking about getting thicker wires just to make sure sound quality is top notch!
There is no distortion, until you turn up the volume all the way with lots of bass, then it doesn't distort really, just sounds poorly. The wires might be a good idea but that would take some work. I used Pioneers all the way, I've always had good experience with Pioneers. I used TS-A1072R in front and TS-A467R in the rear. The rear ones do sound good, in spite of my previous posts, there is bass sound coming from them, it's just that they are not that loud, the front speakers overpower the rear speakers. I'd like to plug in an amp with an equializer and a subwoofer but again, that would take some work and removing the head unit, which I'm quite unsure of at the moment. I'll wait until others toy with that head unit and post on it before I give it a go!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts